What is Sexual Violence?

"Sexual Violence includes a continuum of conduct that includes sexual assault, non-forcible sex acts, dating and relationship violence, stalking, as well as aiding acts of sexual violence" (Minnesota State 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy)

What is Sexual Assault?

"'Sexual assault' means an actual, attempted, or threatened sexual act with another person without that person's consent. Sexual assaul is often a criminal act that can be prosecuted under Minnesota law, as well as form the basis for discipline under [North Hennepin Community College] student conduct codes and employee disciplinary standards. Sexual Assault includes but is not limited to: 

1. Involvement without consent in any sexual act in which there is force, expressed or implied, or use of duress or deception upon the victim. Forced sexual intercourse is included in this definition, as are the acts commonly referred to as “date rape” or “acquaintance rape.” This definition also includes the coercing, forcing, or attempting to coerce or force sexual intercourse or a sexual act on another.

2. Involvement in any sexual act when the victim is unable to give consent. 

3. Intentional and unwelcome touching, or coercing, forcing, or attempting to coerce or force another to touch a person’s intimate parts (defined as primary genital area, groin, inner thigh, buttocks, or breast).

4. Offensive sexual behavior that is directed at another such as indecent exposure or voyeurism." (MnSCU 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy)

What is Dating & Relationship Violence?

"Dating and relationship violence includes physical harm or abuse, and threats of physical harm or abuse, arising out of a personal intimate relationship. This violence also may be called domestic abuse or spousal/partner abuse and may be subject to criminal prosecution under Minnesota state law" (MnSCU 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy).

What is Stalking?

Stalking is conduct directed at a specific person that is unwanted, unwelcome, or unreciprocated and that would cause a reasonable person to fear for her or his safety or the safety of others or to suffer substantial emotional distress (MnSCU 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy).

What is Consent?

Consent is informed, freely given and mutually understood. If coercion, intimidation, threats, and/or physical force are used, there is no consent. If the complainant is mentally or physically incapacitated or impaired so that the complainant cannot understand the fact, nature, or extent of the sexual situation, there is no consent; this includes conditions due to alcohol or drug consumption, or being asleep or unconscious. Silence does not necessarily constitute consent, and past consent of sexual activities does not imply ongoing future consent. Whether the respondent has taken advantage of a position of influence over the complainant may be a factor in determining consent (MnSCU 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy).

If you have been a victim of any form of sexual violence

  • Know that this incident is not your fault.
  • Find a safe environment and a trusted friend to stay with you.
  • If you have been drinking and you're underage, or you were under the influence of other illegal drugs, reporting assault does not mean that you will get in trouble with NHCC for violating the Code of Conduct. It is important to us to get you the help that you want and need without fear of getting in trouble. 

Consider reporting the crime

Any individual who believes she or he has been or is being subjected to conduct prohibited by Board Policy 1B.1 or 1B.3 policies are encouraged to report the incident to the designated officer. The report/complaint should be brought as soon as possible after an incident occurs.

Any student, faculty member or employee who knows of, receives information about or receives a complaint of discrimination/harassment is strongly encouraged to report the information or complaint to the designated officer of the system office, college, or university.

Contact any of the following

To report an incident of Sexual Violence, Dating Violence, Stalking, Harassment, or Discrimination, please visit here. This report may be filed anonymously but this could limit our ability to take action on the incident. 

Report the assault to NHCC Public Safety by calling 763-424-0807, or call the Brooklyn Park Police Department, or if it is an emergency, please call 911. You may also contact your campus representative.

Students contact:

Elton Dahn, 763-488-0229, ES 51
Director of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution

Employees contact:

Victoria DeFord, 763-424-0955, ES 31
Chief Human Resources Officer

Consider taking steps to preserve physical evidence

If possible, go directly to an Emergency Room at a local hospital.

    Other NHCC Resources

    • NHCC Counseling Center, ES-118, 763-493-0554
      Counseling Services at NHCC provides free and confidential personal counseling.
    • Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution, ES-118B, 763-488-0229
      Student Conduct can provide you with a person to talk to and can help connect you with key campus and community resources. The goal of Student Conduct will be to help you make a decision on what you want to do and provide you with information so you can make the most informed decision.

    Other Local Resources


    To read the policy in full, please see Minnesota State 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy here. For a list and text of all currently policies and procedures at NHCC, please visit here.